One runner's attempt to keep running while taking a soccer team to the 2010 AYSO National Games in Florida.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Running . . .Speed Workouts?

Well, getting back to running it has been an up and down experience.  I was really hoping to tell you all about my great 5K race (Borgess Run), but it was not meant to be.  In my last running post, I had just started running two miles.  I stayed at this level longer than anticipated.  For the longest time, I was feeling discomfort in my knee for the last half mile of the run.  No shooting pain or even a constant ache, it just did not feel right.  In keeping with my new conservative approach, I did not run more than two miles.

Finally, this last week I had a break through.  I ran just under three miles.  It was 2.8 according to the Garmin.  The best part is I could have kept running. Cookie (my 11 month old spaniel mix) came along for the run as well.  She is starting to get the hang of running.  She still starts out pulling, but we get into a rhythm about a half a mile in.  She definitely likes going for the runs.  If she sees me with my running clothes on, she gets excited and starts jumping around.  I think I have a new partner.

The best news was Friday's speed workout.  To get my team physically ready to play in Florida in July, we started training on the track last Friday.  We started with a half mile jog, followed by stretching.  We next did some light bounding to make sure everyone was warmed up. We headed for the bleachers for ten minutes of running stairs.  Finally, we did some sprints on the track.

I divided the team into three groups according to their fitness levels.  Group A is the run all day and all night kids.  Group C are the kids who need to work on their endurance.  Group B are the kids in the middle.  When we ran the bleachers, Group A ran two three minute repeats followed by a two minute repeat with one minute off in between.  Group B ran three two minute repeats with about two minutes rest in between.  Group C ran four one minute repeats with two minutes rest in between.

The sprints were also set up according to fitness level.  We started with four sprints.  Group C ran about 25 yards.  Group A ran 50 yard sprints.  Group B ran about 38 yard sprints.  We followed the four sprints with three more sprints where everyone ran 55 yards.  Top two finishers got to sit. I was going to make them run two 55 yard sprints, but my 5 year old son, Bulldozer, wanted to do one more.

I ran with Group A.  My lungs almost exploded, but I finished everything except the third repeat on the bleachers.  I got about a minute into the last repeat and my knee got that not right feeling so I stopped.  The rest of me spent the next several minutes thanking my knee for speaking up.  The good news, other than this discomfort, my knee felt fine during the whole workout.  I did not have any soreness in my knee the next morning.

As a last word, let me say that Dallas (see her bio in Meet the Team Postings) is a truly gifted athlete.  I knew she was fast.  I have marvelled at her speed in several post.  I learned last Friday she can maintain that speed for long periods of time.  When she was running the bleachers, she started off at a very fast pace.  Anyone who has run the bleachers knows that starting too fast leads to painful finishes.  It didn't phase her any of the three times she ran on the bleachers.  Oh yeah, she ran in basketball sneakers.  I was truly impressed.

Go Crushers!

No comments:

Post a Comment