One runner's attempt to keep running while taking a soccer team to the 2010 AYSO National Games in Florida.

Monday, April 19, 2010

Meet the Team

Pink

Pink, one of the ladies on the team, is a very energetic and opinionated extrovert that has no problem telling you what she thinks. Anyone who knows me, will know why I love those qualities in a player. For example, Pink is the player that started the nick name tradition on our team. I showed up to one of our first practices and Pink had died the lower third of her hair bright PINK. After a little teasing, I told her I was going to call her Pink from then on. She informed me in no uncertain terms that it was fine with her because her favorite singer was named Pink. She then proceeded to tell me all about Pink, the singer, was assuming all along I had no knowledge of the person.



Pink has all the skills and qualities to be a great player. As I have said before, the most skilled player on the team is Taz. Pink has the same ball control skills as Taz. I have seen her dribble through three defenders and put a beautiful shot on goal. I have seen her fend off a defender in the middle of the opposing team's goal box and blast a pass in the back of the net. She is a natural leader.  Pink was voted one of the teams two captions by her teammates.  She is a good athlete and a smart player.  She has all the skill and qualities, ie. the intangibles, to be a great player.

Unfortunately, Pink has not put all these elements together, yet.  Her challenge is to trust hers skills and personality traits when she plays in a game.  She needs to stop thinking and just play.  She needs to just turn it loose on the pitch (field).  Pink needs to play a hundred miles an hour with her hair on fire.  If she can learn to play with a little reckless abandon, she will be unstoppable.  The only way I know to fix this problem is to play in games. Pink just needs to play.

The good news is I am seeing improvement, real improvement. Pink broke her arm and missed our last indoor season. Since getting her cast off, Pink has become more aggressive in practice. She is more willing to mix it up with other players. In our last scrimage against one of the AYSO U-10 boys teams from our region, Pink started playing like I knew she could.  She was taking on players and winning the ball.  She started using all the ball control skills that I have seen in practice.  She made plays that lead to scoring chances.  If she continues to let her natural personality and skills take over on the field, then our chances of success in Florida increase dramtically.

Log on and follow Pink and the rest of the team through the spring season and on our trip to Florida.

Go Crushers!

No comments:

Post a Comment