One runner's attempt to keep running while taking a soccer team to the 2010 AYSO National Games in Florida.

Monday, March 22, 2010

Running ....

I have not had a new post in a while. Funny how life gets in the way of what you want to do sometimes. After my last running post, I was extremely motivated to get back on the road. I had completed my first run of a mile in months. I had no knee pain. I was excited. Having said that, did you ever feel like the universe was out to get you? My running was put on hold for two weeks because of a cracked tooth. That's right, a tooth, not a foot injury, a sore knee, or even a pulled muscle in the back. I was sidelined by a tooth.


I had forgotten the very special kind of pain a bad tooth can produce. Now I have a fairly high threshold for pain. But tooth pain sends me running for the Tylenol. I do not know how or when my tooth cracked, but it did. It got infected. The result, I was in allot of pain. I went to the dentist and had it pulled. There are several options for getting it replaced, like an implant or bridge. Lets just say they all cost more than my first car.


Enough about teeth. I got back on the road last Friday. I ran one and half miles. I ran two miles on Saturday and Sunday. The lay off due to my knee and other issues has left me in poor running shape. But let me say, "damn I missed running!" I have never enjoyed pained like I did this weekend. I was breathing hard, my legs were burning, and I was running pitifully slow. But for the first time in months I was running. Let me say it again, "damn, I missed running!" I had forgotten how much I LOVE TO RUN.


It is funny how one activity can be the key to a whole life style. For me the key is running. When I stop running, I stop cross training, and then I stop eating right. It is a slippery slope to obesity. Thankfully, it works in reverse too. Not only did I run this weekend, I also started cross training again. One day of band training on Saturday and weight lifting on Sunday. I am actually thinking about what I eat again. All triggered by running. It is Monday morning and I am sore in all the right places. Good pain, the kind of pain that lets you know you worked out hard. I cannot wait to go for a run today.


Hopefully things will continue to move forward. The universe will no longer conspire against me. Despite the tooth set back, I am still on course to run the Borgess 5k. Wish me luck, and GO CRUSHERS.

No comments:

Post a Comment