One runner's attempt to keep running while taking a soccer team to the 2010 AYSO National Games in Florida.

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Soccerfest

Soccerfest is a great idea.  You take all the teams that are playing in a given division, like U-10 boys, and you mix up the teams.  You take the reconstructed teams and you let them play one another.  So, I was coaching one player from my team and fourteen players from as far away as Hawaii.  While I am a rather intense coach,as I have mentioned from time to time, I was very laid back.  We had two fun games.  We tied our first game and lost by a goal in our second.  Winning and losing at Soccerfest was really of no concern to me, I was just out to have fun.  And maybe I was paying attention to some of the players I will be facing later in the week.

It was a great learning experience.  It was surprising, all of the issues I have with my players exist with players from California, Louisana, Arizona, Chicago, and across the Country.  I also learned from one of the coaches I met that we are facing some stiff competition.  In Southwest Michigan we have a region of 700 kids.  We pulled players from U-10 boys, U-10 girls, and U-8 boys to form our team.  To play travel club or select soccer in Michigan you have to leave AYSO and join a club team.  In California, for example, a region will have about 7,000 kids, an average number in California.  Any given division  like U-10 boys will take the best forty players from the thousand plus boys in the division to play their select teams.  They then take the ten best players from their select teams to form their team for the National Games.  It was quite an eye opening conversation.

We have played select teams in the past.  We beat several during indoor soccer season and the games we lost we were in until the bitter end.  If the team shows up that took TKO to the brink, losing 6 to 5 and beat Marshall 8 to 2, then we will be fine.    If the team that lost a game at the KASI tournament shows up, we are in trouble.  I can't wait to find out which team shows up.  Bottom line, win or lose, if we play good soccer, I will be thrilled.  Wish us luck.

Go Crushers!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment